Copyright April M Rimpo

Visit April's website www.amrart.org
Copyright April M Rimpo All Rights Reserved. You may share my work with attribution and a link to this source site, but all other uses are prohibited.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

"Ellicott City...Welcome Since 1772", 11"X14" Fluid Acrylic on Aquabord™

Welcome Since 1772 by April M Rimpo

Ellicott City is a charming town not far from where I live. It is full of art and antique shops that draw people from far and wide.  It is a favorite place for artists to paint.  In fact, each year Ellicott City holds a paint out that brings artists to town to spend a weekend painting. The result is an exhibition, held in one of the Howard Country Arts Council's Galleries.  There are so many paintings they often spill out into the hallways.

I have never taken part is this paint out, but recently decided that, since I paint places from across the United States, Provence France, and Guatemala, why not share a bit of home as well. 

Welcome Since 1772 is, I expect, the first of several paintings of Ellicott City.  The title derives from the little ribbons painted in the upper left and lower right of the Ellicott City sign, that decorates the old train bridge you pass under on the way into town.  One ribbon says, "Welcome", while the other proclaims the heritage of the town "Since 1772." 


Welcome Since 1772
Fluid Acrylic on Aquabord
11" X 14"
$375

Original SOLD - Prints available at Still Life Fine Art Gallery

This painting is done using fluid acrylic on a deep cradle Aquabord™, a trademark of Ampersand.  Ampersand describes Aquabord™ as "an acid-free textured clay surface that absorbs watercolor like a fine paper."  I used a version of Aquabord™ that has a 2" deep cradle that eliminates the need for framing.   I varnished the finished piece to protect it from dirt, moisture, and discoloration. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this painting and I'd be happy to answer questions about my experience using fluid acrylic and watercolor on this painting surface.

Here are a couple watercolor paintings I did on Aquabord:
Other paintings of Ellicott City can be found here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to hearing from you. - April

Most Popular Posts This Month

Most Popular Posts of All Time