Copyright April M Rimpo

Visit April's website www.amrart.org
Copyright April M Rimpo All Rights Reserved. You may share my work with attribution and a link to this source site, but all other uses are prohibited.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

"Aglow" 14" X 10" fluid acrylic and watercolor



Aglow by April M. Rimpo
Aglow
fluid acrylic and watercolor
14" X 10" varnished and framed

$375 within the United States*

Contact April regarding purchase outside USA or if interested in the painting without the frame

When sitting in a park (Madison Square Park in NYC) a woman appeared in the distance carrying a parasol to block the bright sun.  As she passed in and out of shaded spots the umbrella would light up like a spotlight.  She was wearing light colors and her hair was blond so she appeared to almost glow against the backdrop of the park. With my camera at the ready I started taking photographs as she walked in hopes of catching a moment when she was lit up by the sun.  I wanted to feature the stark contrast between the glowing woman and the dark textured foliage and fence rails that she passed.   My painting, Aglow, was the result.  
I decided I wanted to make the background very colorful to add a lot of interest since I planned to make the colors of the woman very light and simple. The contrast of light against dark augmented with simple versus complex color blends felt right. 

I chose to use fluid acrylics for the background which I first applied in a few areas and let partially dry before washing off most of the color. This approach leaves a ragged edge "batik-like" appearance that added texture to the background. While the background was very wet, I flowed in a wide variety of colors: blues to make the orange parasol pop, reds, greens, golden, and purple hues that blended and swirled to make wonderful variety in the dark background. The balance of the painting was done with watercolor. I saved some spots of white which I later tinted with pale colors to add a bit of sparkle throughout the painting. 

Follow this link to see other paintings where I combine fluid acrylic and watercolor


Copyright April M Rimpo All Rights Reserved. You may share my work with attribution and a link to this source site, but all other uses are prohibited.

4 comments:

  1. I love how this composition captured your attention right there on the street and you knew that it would make an incredible painting. And it IS incredible. There certainly is a glow to it, and a beautiful contrast, besides the lovely colors and rhythmical composition. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine. I really respect your opinion since you have a wonderful eye for design.

      Delete
  2. A gorgeous piece, you caught the sunlight beautifully !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jane. This is good to hear. Getting feedback is really important to me.

      Delete

I look forward to hearing from you. - April

Most Popular Posts This Month

Most Popular Posts of All Time