Copyright April M Rimpo

Visit April's website www.amrart.org
Copyright April M Rimpo All Rights Reserved. You may share my work with attribution and a link to this source site, but all other uses are prohibited.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

"Fruit Vendors", 22" X 19" watercolor

Fruit Vendors by April M. Rimpo


Fruit Vendors is based on a photograph taken in Antigua, Guatemala. This painting is intended to capture part of everyday life in Guatemala.  It was morning and these women were setting up their stand for the day.  They were located near a church which was visited by tourists and locals and both appeared to be their clientele. In the background were buildings and people who were at a level above the vendors, that I felt would detract from the vendors and their fruit.
Fruit Vendors
Watercolor
22" X 19" image
28" X 25" brushed silver frame
I started with a design that had very little in the background, but as the painting developed I decided I needed to have more to balance with the front of the painting. My first revision was to add some plants to the background on the left side.  I placed them all at about the same height because I thought the umbrella should be the only item that went to the top of the painting.  However as the painting progressed I felt the woman on the right was off by herself with only a few items of fruit in front of her. There was a large empty gap between the fruit and her that went up to the umbrella.  So I decided to add a few plants on her side of the painting.  This proved to be not enough.  The top still felt quite empty and really needed something dark in the upper left quadrant of the painting.

I decided to research plants native to Guatemala.  I found one called “Heliconia Wagneriana” that had dark stems, long leaves, and great blossoms that had the same reddish orange I used in several other place within the painting.  These plants grow from 5 to 15 feet tall, so they were a good candidate to fill the space.  I found a few different photographs of this plant then drew it to fill in the space that I thought would balance the design. I think the addition of this plant did the trick.  What do you think?  I'd love to hear from you. 

To see other work by April visit her website at http://www.rimpo.org/april/  where you can shop for card or prints.

Copyright April M Rimpo All Rights Reserved. You may share my work with attribution and a link to this source site, but all other uses are prohibited.
 

4 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful painting and such a helpful post for me. I've got some photos that my sister in law sent from India that I want to make into some sort of village scene, using things from each photo. I'm still debating how to arrange the village in the background behind the people. This post helped me a lot! You did such a wonderful job and I love the colorful composition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be anxious to see your India paintings. As you know I love sharing other cultures, learning a little from your work will be just a fun for me.

      Delete

I look forward to hearing from you. - April

Most Popular Posts This Month

Most Popular Posts of All Time