Copyright April M Rimpo

Visit April's website www.amrart.org
Copyright April M Rimpo All Rights Reserved. You may share my work with attribution and a link to this source site, but all other uses are prohibited.

Sunday, August 19, 2012

"Hammocks" 24" X 22" watercolor by April M. Rimpo

Hammocks by April M. Rimpo
Hammocks
watercolor
24" X 22" image
31" X 29" brushed silver frame
$1250 when shipped within United States

Contact April Regarding Purchase

Sometimes it just clicks.  Everything about this painting clicked.  I remember taking the photograph in Chichicastenango, Guatemala.  I was cutting through the local market to get back to my group when I saw these hammocks.  Although in a hurry, I stopped in my tracks and took a few photos.  When reviewing these photos recently this memory and the feelings I had at the time immediately pop right back.

Chichi is known for its colorful native markets, which are held each Thursday and Sunday.  The ethereal patterns of the hammock netting against the sky and the bright colors of the hammock chair swings were a combination I couldn't resist.  The linear lines of the fabric that curved with the shape of the hammock contrasted with the straight diagonals of the dowels that held the hammocks. Making sense of these interesting patterns was the challenge, but one worth trying since I wanted to share the beauty if I succeeded.

Despite the apparent complexity of the hammocks this is one of those paintings that just worked.  Perhaps my love of the scene just took over.  I had considered this a test painting, to see if I could make sense of the netting, done in preparation for another painting.  I'm really happy with the results of the test and hope you like it too.

In case you are wondering, the brilliant reds, pinks, and oranges are thanks to Daniel Smith quinacridone pigments.


To see available prints check my store.

4 comments:

  1. Yes it did click! Your composition is so awesome! I love the flow of the colors and the interest you created throughout. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katherine. It's great when everything works.

      Delete
  2. This is lovely - such beautiful colors! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear from you, Liesel. Color is so important to me it is wonderful to hear when others like what I have done.

      Delete

I look forward to hearing from you. - April

Most Popular Posts This Month

Most Popular Posts of All Time